The San Juan County Fire Department provides fire prevention, suppression, rescue and basic emergency medical services to the citizens and visitors of San Juan County.
The San Juan County Fire Department is a professional emergency services organization embracing modern concepts of service delivery while maintaining costs of providing these services below the norm.
- The first county volunteer fire department in San Juan County were established in 1962.
- The volunteer fire department, along with the County Fire Marshal, were consolidated in 2001 to create the San Juan County Fire Department.
- San Juan County Fire Department is responsible for servicing more than 5,500 square miles.
- The department responds to more than 5,000 calls each year.
- 14 Districts
- 23 Stations
- 330 Volunteers
- 100+ pieces of Equipment
- First Response Fire/Medical Services in conjunction with Paramedic Ambulances, first response for hazardous materials, fire suppression, wild-land firefighting and rescue services including water, high angle, search and rescue and vehicle extrication.
- Volunteer firefighters save the citizens of San Juan County more than $18 million each year.
- The Quarter Percent Fire Excise Tax money is used to operate the San Juan County Fire Department and the Ambulance Service.