The Mission for the San Juan County Geographic Information System Department is to provide quality geospatial data along with GIS services to county departments and the public.
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Department is a technology oriented department that assists San Juan County departments and citizens with mapping and data support. GIS is a technical field that is used for analysis and displaying of information through maps.
The GIS Department is responsible for managing and maintaining San Juan County's mapped data. By implementing advanced database software, the GIS department supports high performance management of large datasets which enables more efficient departmental workflows, multi-user editing of data, and ensures high-integrity storage of datasets. Internet Mapping allows the GIS Department to provide citizens and county employee's access to real-time spatial data required for daily tasks via the internet/intranet.
- Provide quality geospatial information, services and support to all county departments.
- San Juan County’s Base Station enables county departments using GPS technology for data collection to streamline workflows that meet strict guidelines.
- Maintain and update custom maps for internal and public use.
- Provide support to the Sheriff’s Office on Crime Cases.
- Collect GPS data to support departments and public needs.
- Assist Public Works with the County’s Annual Certified County Maintained Mileage Report.
- Create and maintain web mapping sites.