- To provide the taxpayers of San Juan County with prompt, professional and courteous service, and answer any questions relating to their property taxes.
- To safely deposit all monies and invest idle monies prudently.
- To be accountable to taxpayers and other taxing entities in the county.
2019 PROPERTY TAX DELAY
This year’s property tax bill is delayed because of a new state law (HB407) The law allows school districts to have a mill levy question on the November 5th election ballot. Property tax bills must wait until the outcome of the election and bills have been processed. This means that you won’t receive your tax bill on November 1st as you have in the past.
For San Juan County property taxpayers, in 2019, you can expect the following dates:
- Bills postmarked by December 3, 2019
- First-half or payment in full due December 10, 2019
- Payments considered delinquent and subject to late fees after January 10, 2020
- The second half property tax payment dates remain the same, due April 10, 2020 with May 10, 2020 as the delinquent date.
NOTE: This delay does not apply if you are on our monthly payment or if your taxes are paid through your mortgage company.
For monthly payments, continue to pay your usual amount. Mortgage companies have been notified and will pay your taxes on time. For taxpayers who plan to deduct interest from your 2019 income tax return, taxes must be paid by December 31, 2019.
For further questions, please call the Treasurer’s Office at (505) 334-9421
Frequently Asked Questions
What has changed?
Due to the new state law, your property tax bill will be mailed to you by December 3, 2019, will be due on December 10, 2019, and will be delinquent after January 10, 2020. This is due to the mill levy question on the November 2019 ballot.
Why is this happening?
Property tax bills are delayed due to the new state law (House Bill 407). As a result, the Treasurer's Office cannot process the property tax bill until after the November election.
What’s the timeline?
The Treasurer's Office will mail out the property tax bill no later than December 3, 2019. Property Tax bills will be due by December 10, 2019, and will become delinquent after January 10, 2020. The second half is still due April 10, 2020, as normal.
DID YOU KNOW you can already pay your taxes online, but now you may receive your tax bill in your email!
Find out more here:
|Pay your property tax online||Tax Bill E-Notify|