Health Care Assistance Program (HCAP)

What is the Health Care Assistance Program (HCAP)?

The HCAP helps people who do not have medical insurance with their medical bills.
The Health Care Assistance Program (HCAP) is a medical assistance program funded by a 1/8th of one percent of County Gross Receipts Tax and administered by the Board of County Commissioners who sit as the Indigent Hospital and County Health Care Board.

How do I qualify?
There are four criteria that need to be met to qualify for this program.
  1. Residency Requirements
  2. Income Limits
  3. Assets Limits
  4. Not Qualified for Medicaid

1. Residency
The claimant must be a San Juan County resident for a minimum of 90 days(three months)immediately prior to the date of service. 

Acceptable forms of proof of residency include:

  • Utility Bills
  • Proof of Employment
  • Housing Costs
  • Bank or insurance info

List of Acceptable Documents for HCAP Assistance: Residency:
 A document
dated within the last 6 months; minimum of 2 of the following: 
Utility bill, property rental or purchase agreement, rent receipt, mortgage document, property tax bill, insurance bill/card/binder, bank statement

2. Income limits
Proof of income for 12 months immediately prior to the date of
service is required.
  • Household of 1 person  $24,984

  • Household of 2              $33,828

  • Household of 3              $42,660

  • Household of 4              $51,504

  • Household of 5              $60,348

  • Household of 6              $69,180

  • Household of 7              $78,024

  • Household of 8              $86,868

    • Add $8844 for each additional household member

List of Acceptable Documents for HCAP Assistance:


Tax returns, W-2’s, 1099’s; pay stubs, SS benefits statement, Profit/Loss statement, child support, public assistance

3. Liquid Asset limits

Proof of Liquid Assets/Resources is required. This proof can include:

  • Household maximum of 1 $5,000
  • Household of 2 or more, maximum of $10,000
  List of Acceptable Documents for HCAP Assistance: 

A current statement of investments to include stocks, bonds, or CD’s, and checking and savings accounts statements

4. Have you applied for Medicaid? (We can help!)
  • The HCAP Program will not provide assistance to anyone who qualifies for Medicaid. Please inquire with the NM Income Support Division to determine if you qualify for Medicaid.
  • A denial letter from the Medicaid office may be requested.

Apply for Centennial Care (Medicaid): or call 1-855-637-6574

Or, you can visit the local ISD Office at 101 W. Animas in Farmington.


How do I apply?
Applications are available at all HCAP designated health care providers or agency sites or you may download your application here. A personal interview is required as part of the application process. Contact your provider to schedule an appointment. If you received services from an out-of-county hospital, please apply at the HCAP office directly.

Indigent Healthcare Application

What medical services are covered?

Covered services include in-patient and out-patient hospital services, ambulance services, primary care, prescriptions, dental, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, out-patient mental health services, home health, and hospice services. Health care services that may be covered by the HCAP Program must be provided by an HCAP designated health care provider or agency hospital or non-profit facility approved by the Board and as defined in the Indigent Health Care Act, Section 27-5-4 NMSA 1978 Comp.

Urgent Care treatment is not covered.

HCAP Designated Health Care Providers/Agencies:

Please call the HCAP office at (505) 334-4288 with any questions regarding the list of approved health care providers.

HCAP Contact Information:   
Office hours are 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Monday through Thursday

Health Care Assistance Program
100 South Oliver Drive
Aztec, NM 87401

Phone: (505) 334-4288
FAX: (505) 334-4947

HCAP Manager, Liza Lier - Phone: (505) 334-4288, Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


HealthCare Assistance Program (HCAP)
(505) 334-4288
Fax: (505) 334-4947
100 S. Oliver Dr., Aztec, NM 87410
HCAP Manager

lgomez8 sm2018

Liza Lier
Contact Me