Housing Facts

Introduction: Having a good place to live is important. Through the Housing Agency, the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program will help you rent a decent, safe and sanitary unit to live in. You are free to choose any house or apartment you like, as long as it meets certain requirements. Your Housing Authority will give you other information about the program and how your portion of the rent is determined.


Q. How can I apply for rental assistance?
A. Initial applications are received at the Housing Authority on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Applications are also received by mail. Applications can be obtained at the office of the San Juan County Housing Authority or via internet sjcounty.net, Housing Department.
Q. How long will it take for the Housing Authority to determine if I’m eligible?
A. It depends on how long the waiting list is and the availability of Federal Funds.

Q. What are the eligibility requirements?
A. There are four factors which affect eligibility:
1. Family definition. Only applicants who meet the PHA’s definition of family are eligible.
2. Income limits. The households annual income may not exceed the applicable income limit as established by HUD.
3. Citizenship status. The applicant must meet the documentation requirements of citizenship or eligible immigration status.
4. Eviction for drug-related criminal activity. Persons evicted from public housing or any Section 8 program for drug-related criminal activity are ineligible for assistance for at least three years from the date of the eviction.

The PHAs plan contains procedures for determining eligibility and denial of assistance.

What does the Public Housing Authority do?
When the Public Housing Authority (PHA) has determined that the family is eligible to participate in the housing choice voucher program. The family chooses a decent, safe and sanitary unit to live in. If the owner agrees to lease the unit to the family under the housing choice voucher program, and if the PHA approves the unit, the PHA will enter into housing assistance payments (HAP) contract with the owner to make monthly payments to the owner to help the family pay the rent.

Preliminary Tenant Application

Great Schools, a national non-profit educational resource for parents: http://www.greatschools.org 

You can find income limits at http://www.huduser.org/datasets/il.html

You can find fair market rents at http://www.huduser.org/datasets/fmr.html

Looking for a PHA in the U.S. go to https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/pha/contacts

San Juan County Housing Authority
(505) 334-4544
Fax: (505) 324-3005
7450 E. Main St., Suite C Farmington, NM 87402
Executive Director

IMG 2809FAndersonWeb

Faye Anderson
Contact Me