Important Updates:

San Juan County has consolidated all the relevant information about the coronavirus and COVID-19 in one place, More here...

San Juan County ,offices have reopened, following COVID Safe Practices, learn more here 
There are a number of resources for behavioral and mental health support here More...

Marriage License


  • Both applicants need to be present.

  • Must be at least 18 years of age
    • Parental consent if 16 or 17 years of age
    • Court order if 15 years of age

  • Current legal picture ID or birth certificate
    • Name on ID and proof of SSN must match

  • Proof of Social Security number (SS card, W2, or Tax Return)

  • Fee is $25.00 cash or credit card, cash only after 5:00 pm.


  • Marriage licenses are issued and valid immediately

  • Marriage licenses do not expire

  • Blood tests are not required

  • Wedding ceremony must be performed in the State of New Mexico

  • Once the ceremony is performed, the license must be returned to the Clerk’s office to be recorded

New Mexico statute 40-1-2

New Mexico statute 40-1-2 outlines who may perform the wedding ceremony:

  1. The civil contract of marriage is entered into when solemnized.  As used in Chapter 40, Article 1 NMSA 1978 "solemnize" means to join in marriage before witnesses by means of a ceremony.

  2. A person who is an ordained member of the clergy or who is an authorized representative of a federally recognized Indian nation, tribe or pueblo may solemnize the contract of marriage without regard to sect or rites and customs the person may practice. 

  3. Active or retired judges, justices and magistrates of any of the courts established by the constitution of New Mexico, United States constitution, laws of the state or laws of the United States are civil magistrates having authority to solemnize contracts of marriage.  Civil magistrates solemnizing contracts of marriage shall charge no fee therefor.  

Divorce Records

The San Juan County Clerk's Office does not record divorce records. Divorce records may be obtained at the District Court in the county where the divorce was filed.