Important Updates:

Public Health Orders from the State of New Mexico has forced changes to operations at San Juan County, learn more here More...


Recording Department

To request copies of recorded real property documents, please include the book and page or document number. Submit document requests to


Recording Fees
Document Filing Requirements
Death & Birth Certificates
UCC Filings


  • Documents recorded in the office of the County Clerk are Public Records, subject to inspection and disclosure.

  • The County Clerk’s office will not hold rejected documents for any reason. We will immediately mail the document back to you unrecorded with an explanation of why it was rejected.

  • All credit/debit card purchases are subject to a 2.5% convenience fee.

  • Recording fees changed as of July 1, 2019



All division of land plats and boundary line adjustments need to be approved by the San Juan County Subdivision Review Officer before they can be recorded. This applies to not only the unincorporated area of San Juan County, but also to areas within the planning and platting jurisdiction of the local municipalities.




Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Why would the County Assessor’s Office refer me to the County Clerk’s office to obtain the recording date for my deed?

  • What are the recording fees?

  • Can I record a copy, or must I record the original document?

  • Can I obtain copies of recorded documents?

  • Can the County Clerk’s Office search the records and tell me who owns a particular piece of real estate and whether there are any mortgages or liens on the property?

  • Are copies of subdivision maps available in the County Clerk’s Office?

  • A lien has been placed on my property. I have paid off the note, how do I remove the lien from the County Clerk’s record?

  • If there is a lien on my property, what information will the record contain?

  • Whom should I call with additional questions about public records at the County Clerk’s Office?