Important Updates:

San Juan County has consolidated all the relevant information about the coronavirus and COVID-19 in one place, More here...

San Juan County ,offices have reopened, following COVID Safe Practices, learn more here 
There are a number of resources for behavioral and mental health support here More...

Apply for a Burn Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Effective May 13, 2020, the State of New Mexico has banned burning on non-municipal, non-tribal, and non-federal lands. The San Juan County Fire Department will not issue burn permits until further notice. Permits can be issued through New Mexico State Forestry. More information:



Burn permits are issued on a day-to-day basis, and only when weather conditions allow. The Burn recommendation is posted on the San Juan County Fire Department Facebook page

The San Juan County Fire Department ONLY issues burn permits for burns in the unincorporated portion of San Juan County and Town of Kirtland. 

For a burn permit in the city of Aztec

For a burn permit in the City of Bloomfield call (505) 632-6363

For a burn Permit in the City of Farmington  or call (505) 599-1430

The burn recommendation will include whether burns may be carried out all day, or just until noon. 

On burn days, permits will only be issued between 8:00 am and noon. 

Monday through Friday, burn permits can be issued by calling Fire Operations at (505) 334-1180. 

On weekends and Holidays, burn permits are issued by calling the San Juan County Communications Authority at (505) 334-6622. 

Rules for burn Permits

Burn Permittee will be allowed burn plant material ONLY.

Burn permits are intended for the use of small agricultural burns only, for large burns please call Fire Operations to have the proposed burn area inspected prior to burning.

If you are granted a burn permit, you must stay aware of wind conditions, and extinguish the fire if wind conditions change and could cause the spread of fire.

The fire MUST stay 50 feet away from any structure or power line.

You must have water nearby and available for use.

You MAY NOT leave the fire unattended.

If your permit is granted, you may begin to burn at sunrise, and the fire must be completely out by noon, or sunset, depending on the permit issued.

Permittee must call 911 IMMEDIATELY if the fire gets out of control.