The mission of San Juan County Housing is to promote adequate and affordable housing, economic opportunity and a suitable living environment free from discrimination to all San Juan County Residents.
Our vision is to encourage residents to become financially independent. Continue to counsel and provide assistance to residents wishing to obtain home ownership.
The PHA administers the housing choice voucher program under contract with HUD and has the following areas of responsibility:
- Establishing local policies
- Determining family eligibility and reexamining of family income
- Maintaining the waiting list and selecting families for admission
- Calculating the family share of the rent and the amount of the housing assistance payment
- Establishing of utility allowances
- Conducting outreach to owners, with special attention to those with units outside of areas of poverty or minority
- Assisting persons with disabilities in finding satisfactory housing
- Approving units, including assuring compliance with housing quality standards and determining the reasonableness of rent
- Making housing assistance payment to owners
- Conducting informal reviews and hearings at the request of applicants and participants challenging PHA administrative decisions
- Complying with fair housing and equal opportunity requirement, HUD regulations and requirements, the consolidated ACC, HUD-approved applications for program funding, the PHA’s administrative plan, and federal, state and local laws.